Parish Safeguarding Policy
The following policy was agreed at the Parochial Church Council (PCC) meeting held on 12th January 2021
In accordance with the Church of England Safeguarding Policy our church is committed to:
- Promoting a safer environment and culture.
- Safely recruiting and supporting all those with any responsibility related to children, young people and vulnerable adults within the church.
- Responding promptly to every safeguarding concern or allegation.
- Caring pastorally for victims/survivors of abuse and other affected persons.
- Caring pastorally for those who are the subject of concerns or allegations of abuse and other affected persons.
- Responding to those that may pose a present risk to others.
The Parish will:
- Create a safe and caring place for all.
- Have a named Parish Safeguarding Officer (PSO) to work with the incumbent and the PCC to implement policy and procedures.
- Safely recruit, train and support all those with any responsibility for children, young people and adults to have the confidence and skills to recognise and respond to abuse.
- Ensure that there is appropriate insurance cover for all activities involving children and adults undertaken in the name of the parish.
- Display in church premises and on the front page of the parish website the details of who to contact if there are safeguarding concerns or support needs.
- Listen to and take seriously all those who disclose abuse.
- Take steps to protect children and adults when a safeguarding concern of any kind arises, following House of Bishops guidance, including notifying the Diocesan Safeguarding Team and statutory agencies immediately.
- Offer support to victims/survivors of abuse regardless of the type of abuse, when or where it occurred.
- Care for and monitor any member of the church community who may pose a risk to children and adults whilst maintaining appropriate confidentiality and the safety of all parties.
- Ensure that health and safety policy, procedures and risk assessments are in place and that these are reviewed annually.
- Inform the Diocesan Safeguarding Team if we use an alternative DBS Umbrella Body to APCS and if we receive any DBS Disclosures that are not clear.
- Review the implementation of the Safeguarding Policy, Procedures and Practices at least annually.
Each person who works within this church community will agree to abide by this policy and the guidelines established by this church.
This church appoints Rachel Argent as the Parish Safeguarding Officer.
The Church of England C1 Safeguarding training course was offered to all volunteers in house on the 12th January 2019 and the C2S1 course, for those that required it, on the 23rd March 2019.
Parish Safeguarding Contacts:
Parish Safeguarding Officer: Rachel Argent email@example.com 07776 114 521
Children’s Officer for Choir: Alison Smyly firstname.lastname@example.org 07799 491 576
Children’s Officer for Bellringers: Sue Portsmouth email@example.com 07840 330 392
A downloadable copy of the Parish’s Safeguarding Policy can be accessed here: https://sonningparish.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/St-Andrews-Sonning-Safeguarding-Policy-January-2021.pdf
There is more information about the Church of England’s safeguarding procedures here: https://www.churchofengland.org/safeguarding/promoting-safer-church-safeguarding
There is a copy of the Safeguarding poster displayed in all our church buildings, giving local safeguarding contacts, here: http://sonningparish.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/Promoting-A-Safer-Church-Poster-updated-Oct-20.pdf